Sunday, October 16, 2016

Reading Reflection #3

Problem vs. Project-Based Learning

           I really enjoyed reading about the fundamental differences between project and problem based learning approaches and how each of them are woven in and out of place-based learning. This class is actually the first within which I have had the pleasure of studying the place-based learning approach. I've had quite a bit of experience with both project and problem-based approaches, however the continued exposure does help to solidify the fluency with which I practice them both. And through self-reflection, I do incorporate elements of place-based learning, however unknowingly. Realizing that there is actually a name and research behind this approach to teaching is very exciting to me. I have the distinct pleasure of being madly in-love with the community within which I live and teach. I have always wanted to live and work in Athens, GA- even before I knew I wanted to be a teacher. There is a rich history that lives in Athens. The University of Georgia was founded here back in 1785 and people have been coming here to expand the lens by which they view the world ever since. There is art and music here. There is love and passion for: others, learning, and learning about others. The two callings of being a teacher and living here in Athens collided into my life around the same time about 5 years ago, and I had no idea at the time, the purposeful and meaningful direction my life would soon take. Having the opportunity to learn about these important and effective learning approaches has unleashed countless ideas for my own classroom. As a second grade teacher at an in-town public elementary school in a big university town, I have a unique and diverse population of students. Mostly it is split in half. Half of my students are upper-middle class and from highly educated parents who are artists, academics, and entrepreneurs, some being two or all three of these roles at once. The other half is of a lower socioeconomic status, mostly living in government subsidized housing projects. Now the issue of race is not always clear-cut, but a definite and obvious trend exists. The lower class students are black and the upper-middles are most often white. Now of course, this isn't always the case, but in my experience, it is about 97% of the time. Why? It's so painstakingly obvious, even to seven and eight year olds. They make friends with one another easily but don't often play together outside of school. Strong friendships are formed and then seem to fizzle by middle school because like-kind attracts like-kind, despite our best efforts to mix, mix, mix! 
                Part of our second grade curriculum is to teach about the Civil Rights movement in Georgia, using historical figures like Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks, and Jackie Robinson. These individuals led fascinating lives and did important work and we analyze important relational and cultural shifts that occurred in our society as a result of their struggles and efforts to impart change. These same struggles and efforts occurred within our own city during the civil rights movement, and even to people who attended our very school! Through reading more about place-based learning, I am discovering ways I can bring this content to life for my students and allow them to create products that will benefit the entire community and help to bridge a racial divide that still exists even today. Project ideas I have had within this particular unit are publishing a book for our media center library that can be checked out by students and community members, publishing a digital storybook timeline in the form of a website that is essentially a digital archive of stories from people who attended Chase Street before, during, and after integration. Some problems that I think will arise as a result of their project work are: How can we learn from the mistakes of our ancestors and improve race relations today and in the future? How can we tell other people's stories with respect, consideration and empathy? Of course, I am excited to see what problems my students discover on their own as I encourage them to be problem finders and not just problem solvers. 

1 comment:

  1. Betsy, you did a good job summarizing problem-based learning. I really like your idea of creating an e-book with a collection of stories from people who attended your school. That would be great for discovery-based learning as your students would discover which major problems affected alumni. And then students can identify problems related to their own lives. Cool idea! I look forward to reading your project idea!

    ReplyDelete